Quick weather station software quiz: How often should I back up my weather station software data?
Unless you want all your data to be lost because of a storm, back up your data the minute your home receiver sends a storm warning alarm.
Most weather station software will store data for up to two weeks, but it's up to you to create computer backups for longer periods. Some tips:
* We recommend backing up your data on CD-RW.
* If you can buy higher-end tape drives, do so.
* If you're uploading data onto a weather Web site, make sure your Web hosting service mnakes regular data backups.
* If you do CD-RW backups, make multiple copies and store some in the freezer or safe...just in case the power goes out and the continued humidity you've been tracking overheats your CD-RW copies.
* Invest in surge protectors for your weather receivers and your PC weather stations so power surges don't short them out.
Now that you've predicted a blizzard's coming thanks to your software and your eight months of reports, you can back up your data with complete confidence.
Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.
|Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.|